W.W. Norton is seeking a self-motivated, highly creative Photo Editor with 3+ years of experience in the college textbook publishing industry. The accepted candidate will have the opportunity to work with some of the best professionals in the business, and can brainstorm creative ideas with imaginative authors and editors whose disciplines span drama, art, music, history, anthropology, economics, psychology, politics, and the hard sciences. We are expanding aggressively into wider digital media applications, so a forward-thinking, media-savvy photo editor who is excited by innovative digital products would be ideal for this position.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Handle multiple photo programs on tight deadlines, and be responsible for these projects start-to-finish (research, crediting, obtaining files, clearance)
• Work closely with Photo Research and Permissions Manager to monitor schedules, work load, and photo approval processes; deliver bi-monthly status reports
• Monitor freelancers to assure timely and appropriate photo research, crediting, and billing
• Collaborate with authors/editors on the visual tone, quantity, and quality of their photo programs; advise on sources and quality/budget considerations
• Set up usage reports for both print and media-related clearance for our Billing Specialist; maintain usage database
• Research in-house when appropriate (smaller projects).
• Check photos for quality/resolution and submit to production on a timely basis; retouch if needed
Requirements: Required Qualifications:
• Strong working relationships with photo sources, both commercial and obscure - agencies, photographers, museums, libraries, recording companies, academic sources, etc.
• Knowledgeable of the various licensing options (microstock, royalty-free, rights-managed, etc.) and licensing organizations (ARS, VAGA, Rightslink, etc)
• Ability to take verbal cues from authors/editors and translate them into exciting creative imagery
• Familiar with the use of Creative Commons and current photo issues involving intellectual property
• Familiar with all stages of book production, and how/where photo files tie into the process
• Confident with trouble-shooting (a big part of this job), while remaining focused on budgets, deadlines, photo quality, and production issues
• Able to interact with editors, authors, designers, and production/project management staff in a professional and amiable manner
• Regards organization and clear communication as top priorities
• Conversant in Photoshop, Bridge, Microsoft Office, Filemaker, Adobe Acrobat, and standard FTP file transfer applications
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required
How To Apply For This Job:
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please specify which position you are applying for in the subject line.
Date Posted: 3/3/2016