Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Enter the competition now

 Enter the competition now

Natural History Museum

 Submit your best work for the chance to become the next Wildlife Photographer of the Year.

Register NOW at www.wildlifephotographeroftheyear.com .

Closing date: 25 February 2013
   

Spotlight on Paul Nicklen
       © Paul Nicklen




The 2012 Veolia Environnment Wildlife Photographer of the Year shares his thoughts on winning, the importance of photography and the environment, and his tips for success.

When my name was announced as winner of the 2012 competition I was incredibly surprised. I wasn’t expecting it at all. Then the hugs came from many of my peers who I respect so much which made me quite emotional. It was a great moment and a great evening all round. Perhaps the best thing about winning the competition is that I feel like I’m part of a family of photographers who are out there really pushing the boundaries of making powerful images and telling important stories.

There are so many things I appreciate about photography. Most of all, I enjoy the combination of art, science and conservation. This penguin story was right up my alley. They are such striking birds that I could watch them underwater all day long, or until I nearly got hypothermia from being in the water so long. I love the science of the newly discovered bubble physiology and of course the overall conservation message is so important: if we continue to lose ice in the polar regions then we will see the disappearance of species such as emperor penguins in our lifetime.

National Geographic calls me an underwater street photographer as I like to get as close as possible with my subjects. If I am going to get people to care about my subjects and the stories I want to tell, I need to take the most intimate pictures I can. I believe that a strong image will illicit an immediate visceral or emotional reaction from the viewer. They need to learn something, feel something and then want to hang that image on their wall as art.

I had many different experiences shooting the emperor penguin image. On the second day of our project in the Ross Sea, I was attacked and hurt by a leopard seal when it lunged at me on the ice and we had to overcome a lot of nerves when getting in the water knowing the seals were employing ambush strategies. When the penguins arrived at the surface, they created chaos. They stirred up the slush, ran into me and created pandemonium. Then I saw it out of the corner of my eye, a penguin resting against the side of my head. I used it to frame the image and then just started shooting. The image itself is quite chaotic which I like. Looking at perfect images all of the time can feel a bit redundant. I like it that you can study it for quite a while and learn something each time.

And for all the photographers entering the competition this year, my advice would be not to get too hung up on perfection. My winning image was far from perfect but allowed the viewer to feel as if they were swimming with countless penguins under the sea ice. Rather than looking at the picture, the viewer is in the picture.    2012 Veolia Environnement Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition

   

The show, featuring the 100 awarded images from the 2012 Competition, is on display at the Natural History Museum, London, until 3 March 2013. Book tickets now

The exhibition also tours to venues across the world. The light panel edition is currently on display at the Royal BC Museum, Victoria, Canada and at the Natural History Museum, Basel, Switzerland - to find out more and see a full list of hosting venues visit our website .



           
          

Blog Archive