|River V, 2014, 43"x54," Lacquered Pigment Print. ©2014 Adam Katseff|
INFOCUS, LLC, the photography support group of Phoenix Art Museum, is calling for entries for the INFOCUS SIDNEY ZUBER PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD. The Award is granted biennially to an emerging or early career photographer who demonstrates artistic promise. The competition is open to photographers who are residents of the United States, working in all media and styles.
The artist selected will receive an unrestricted cash award of $5,000. In addition, artworks by the winning photographer will be displayed for up to two months at Phoenix Art Museum. The Award winner will also be honored at a reception at the Museum on April 26, 2017 and will be reimbursed up to $1,500 for travel expenses to attend. Selected artist(s) will be featured in INFOCUS event announcements and social media promotion by both Rebecca Senf and the INFOCUS group, and will have their websites (if available) linked from the INFOCUS Sidney Zuber Photography Award web page. The winner of this award in 2015 was Adam Katseff. Please see http://www.adamkatseff.com/rivers-and-falls
· Entry period: December 12, 2016-February 21, 2017
· Judging; February 22 – March 31, 2017
· Award Ceremony: April 26, 2017
· Exhibition: Up to 2 months at Phoenix Art Museum, between
May 20, 2017 and January 15, 2018
· Applicants are required to submit an artist’s statement and a URL for the applicant’s website, if applicable.
· The jurors will consider submitted images and the artist’s statement in choosing the winning artist and may also consult the applicant’s website.
· Artists may submit up to 7 images and entries must be submitted digitally via the website callforentry.org (CaFÉ ).
· The CaFÉ website is the exclusive method of entry and payment of the $ 35 entry fee, must be processed through it. (PLEASE DO NOT SEND APPLICATION FEES OR ARTWORK TO INFOCUS OR PHOENIX ART MUSEUM.)
· Applicants must first register for the CaFÉ website and create a user profile.
For information on using CaFÉ, how to apply and prepare entries, go to
http://infocus-phxart.org/ZuberAward/CFE/ Although the entry must be a digital representation of a work, the work itself may exist in another medium, such as a print on paper or one or more physical objects.
· INFOCUS will mat and frame one or more works by the winning artist.
· Applicants may only enter the competition once each year, with a limit of 7 images.
The competition will be judged by three jurors: Dr. Rebecca Senf, Norton Family Curator at the Phoenix Art Museum and Chief Curator at the Center for Creative Photography; Mark Klett, Regents’ Professor of Art and Distinguished Sustainability Scholar at Arizona State University; and Russell Lord, Freeman Family Curator of Photographs, Prints, and Drawings at the New Orleans Museum of Art. (Please see http://www.infocus-phxart.org/ZuberAward/CFE/
for their profiles. The jurors will select one photographer as the INFOCUS SIDNEY ZUBER PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD winner, and may identify one or more additional artists for Honorable Mention.
INFOCUS is the young and vibrant support group of Phoenix Art Museum’s photography department, composed of people actively interested in photography as a dynamic art form. Working together, photographers, collectors and photography enthusiasts provide a high-quality forum for the study, exhibition and production of fine art photographs.
From access to world-class photography and photography experts through exhibitions and lectures at Phoenix Art Museum, to a wide variety of engaging monthly activities, INFOCUS programs are designed to educate its members and the public about the history and medium of photography, to encourage collecting and promote the preservation of photographic treasures. In addition, INFOCUS has focused increasingly on supporting and spotlighting emerging photographic talent.
Phoenix Art Museum
1625 North Central Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85004