Friday, May 8, 2015

Alumnae Emily Metzguer

After earning her MFA from Savannah College of Art and Design (and later teaching at SCAD), Emily found her way to NYC where she has worked in equipment rooms, as a retoucher, assistant and photographer. She enjoys the creative field immensely and can navigate seamlessly from darkroom to Capture One. Emily relishes old fashioned books and newspapers and can't resist new fangled podcasts.



"...when I finished undergrad we were still shooting film, then digital wave, video was clearly the next frontier...You have to dive into what you are passionate about. I learned this in my studies, and picked SCAD because of how many talented professors make up the photo department. Lots of interested, engaged minds to learn from. I further learned this while teaching. Technical skills are easy, just check YouTube. The real learning comes from within and is helped along by truly wonderful teachers, whom I had the pleasure to take classes from."

 "I did start a tintype project this year...The imagery and process is beautifully imperfect... It is expensive, the equipment is cumbersome, and the chemistry volatile...and I love it. I have been surprised by the people who have said yes to posing and I think it is directly related to the process. There are some images up on the site if you want to take a look."
 www.emilymetzguer.com

Blog Archive