Monday, September 22, 2008

How far have we, as artist's gone to capture the attention of viewers

Below is a link to an article written by Prof. S. Aishman

I have a question for you about child rearing:
What do you do about a child who is behaving badly just for the attention? You don't want to acknowledge the behavior because that is exactly what the child wants, but at the same time, you want to correct the behavior.

So what do you do?

In this case, I have an art critic's dilemma. Should I write about work that I believe has, at least mostly, been created to gain as much negative attention as possible? Even if the work has other positive aspects (which it does) should I tacitly encourage other artists to make similar work just for attention?




Click on the link below to finish the article, view the artwork, and leave your responses.
http://www.bigredandshiny.com/cgi-bin/retrieve.pl?issue=issue90&section=column&article=A_REPORT_FROM_1493740

Blog Archive