Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Joanna Knox Asks, "Digital or Analog?"

Alumna, Joanna Knox (MFA), asked that I initiate a discussion about analog vs. digital prints. Her comments follow:

I have been showing my work recently in some galleries in the DC area and I have heard a lot of mixed opinions. One well-respected curator told me "I would certainly hope that no digital prints would be shown on the walls here." On the other hand, collectors seem to be fascinated by the fact that I still create traditional c-prints. It's like I am some sort of analog freak! Is the traditional c-print becoming a hot item to collectors because it has become rarer? Or do collectors favor digital prints? Or is it just my imagination? Regardless, I have decided to build a traditional color darkroom in my basement. No joke! After you leave SCAD, where the heck do you print?! The rental darkrooms are certainly disappearing. In the DC area, I have to drive two hours away to find one. My secret plan...I have a used CP-51 Fujimoto sitting in my basement, and I am going out to buy ventilation piping tomorrow. If everyone is starting to print digitally, could I have some sort of special niche just because I print traditional c-prints?

I want to know what other people think.

Blog Archive