Saturday, October 27, 2007

1st in a Series of Faculty Interviews: Professor Steve Mosch

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 1 photograph to look at for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?

The most recent snapshot of my family.

Who is your favorite (non-photographer) artist?

Yikes! I can’t do this! Who is my favorite child? I like too many for different reasons at different times. I guess it boils down to people who have something interesting to say with their work, and do so with integrity.

What’s the hardest thing about teaching photography?

Figuring out how I know what I know so that I can communicate it to someone else in the clearest possible way.

What’s your favorite word?

Spleen, because it just sounds funny when you don’t think about what it means.

What’s your least favorite word?

Pus, because you can’t help thinking about what it means.

If you couldn’t be an artist/educator, what profession would you choose?

If jazz musician doesn’t count, then something in the sciences.

What’s your favorite color?

Clear.

What’s your Zodiac sign?

Gemini, I think, or Gemini. But I refuse to be ruled by the stars, or even second-rate actors for that matter.

What was your childhood nickname?

I didn’t have one, and by that, I don’t mean that “I Didn’t Have One” was my nickname.

What’s the best book you’ve ever read?

Holy crap, I was an English major! That’s like the favorite artist question. I guess the one I come back to most often is Whitman’s “Leaves of Grass,” even though I don’t think I’ve ever read it all the way through. It’s a constant source of discovery and inspiration.

What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten from a teacher?

Jim Rambeau, one of my early college English professors, taught me to keep my writing clear and simple, but not simplistic. I think I try to approach everything that way, including my photography.

Do you have any children? If so, what are their names and ages?

Two daughters: Cadyn-24, and Isadora-21 in November.

If you could take any class at SCAD, what would it be?

MA in Cinema Studies.

What’s your favorite TV show?

Another one of these? Currently? Of all time? Be more specific! Currently, “The Office.” Of all time, it’s a “Seinfeld,” “Simpsons” toss-up.

Why is photography such a powerful medium?

Because it has elements of objectivity and subjectivity, realism and expressionism. It thus forces the photographer and the viewer to engage it with both sides of the brain.

If you could go out to dinner with anyone, living or dead, whom would you choose?

Living. Dead would be pretty unappetizing, and dull. Seriously, though (sort of), I think Jefferson, Buddha, Einstein, Zappa, Robert Adams, and my wife Deborah (she’s much better than I am in social situations) would make for an interesting evening. But ask me tomorrow and it would be a different group.

Do you have any guilty pleasures? If so, fess up.

Fly fishing, but I’m only a purist when it comes to freshwater trout; for anything else, I’ll throw some bait on the bottom in a heartbeat if that’s what it takes. Also, billiards and table tennis, although I rarely get a chance to indulge. Also, my inner geek likes the “Dune” sci-fi series.

What’s the best thing about photography?

The best thing about photography is that, despite some of the claims of po-mo, as long as there are people making photographs, there will be new and different ways to reflect, interpret, and share the intersection between the inner and outer world.

Oct. 11-Nov. 20
"Inside Outside" Exhibition by Steven and Deborah Mosch
Pinnacle Gallery, 320 E. Liberty St., Savannah, Ga.
The Savannah College of Art and Design exhibitions department presents "Inside Outside" by professors Deborah Mosch and Steven Mosch. The title of this exhibition highlights differences in the artists’ styles: Deborah’s paintings and drawings present abstractions of her internal thoughts and emotions, while Steven’s panoramic photographs capture views of the outside world. This project was funded through a SCAD Presidential Fellowship for Faculty Development. This event is free and open to the public. The opening reception is part of the Gallery Hop on Friday, November 9th.

Blog Archive