Thursday, January 25, 2024

Alum Brittany Hicken (and it all started with 1 assignment in Photo 113)

 

full article here: https://www.dodho.com/interview-with-brittany-hicken/


Brittany Hicken is not merely a photographer but also an indefatigable traveler, deeply committed to capturing and sharing the mesmerizing beauty our world offers.

A graduate of the esteemed Savannah College of Art and Design, and currently based in Atlanta, Georgia, Brittany has embarked on a personal project intertwining her love for creation, connection with people and nature, and her insatiable desire for exploration. Through large panoramic formats and the clever use of mirrors, she provides a unique and insightful visual commentary on life, deviating from stereotypical landscape panoramas to seize the viewer’s attention and elicit more than a mere glance. Her work, steeped in underlying anxiety birthed during the pandemic, reflects not just physical landscapes but also the emotional and mental landscape of an artist in continuous reflection and discovery.

In college, one photo class required us to complete 50 artist researches in 8 weeks. I had stumbled upon one who would take singular small, maybe 12-inch, mirrors and place them in spots with zero context, reflecting something extremely contrasting in color and texture. One I remember distinctly was a circle in what looked like sand reflecting blue sky and clouds. This intrigued me so incredibly that I wanted to do something similar with my final project; however, I wanted my photos to at least have context in the surrounding landscapes the mirrors were in. After completing this, I did the same thing in my film and darkroom class.

 

Blog Archive